Ah, Valentines day! A romantic day to say how much you love your partner or a money making scam, where the only winners are the card shops? Suzanne and I are more in the first category, but ultimately we are massive romantics, which is why each year we celebrate Valentines day in our own special way. Usually by making each other cards, watching non-romantic films (last year we did the entire Hobbit trilogy and the year before a Thai horror film called Shutter!) and eating a bucket of fried chicken.
This year, we decided early on we wanted to do the same as previous years, but with us both trying to eat healthy we looked for an alternative. Luckily I saw in a Slimming World cook book, ‘Fake Aways’ an interesting idea for KFC styled chicken that was baked and not fried. I decided to go one step further and hunt out the Colonel secret recipe. You’ve got to try this, it tasted as good as the real thing but without the grease, sticky hands and self loathing that comes from visiting the real KFC!
Serves 2, especially with syn free baked beans and skinny fries.
2 chicken breasts, cut lengthways into 4 strips
2 slices of wholemeal bread (400g loaf)
1 Egg, beaten
2 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp onion salt
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried marjoram
- Pre heat the oven to 200°C
- Tear the bread into strips and place in a food processor and pulse until it becomes fine crumbs.
- Add the spices and pulse until combined, transfer the seasoned breadcrumbs to a dish.
- Dip the chicken strips into the egg to coat followed by the breadcrumbs, ensuring an even coating.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then turn and bake for 15 minutes more. Keep turning until the breadcrumbs are nice and dry and forming a delicious crust.
- Serve with Slimming World fries and baked beans
You can mix and match the herbs and spices to your own taste. Please let me know if you’ve tried this and how it is was.